“Landscapes” Artist’s Series Statement:
My love of landscape has developed from the discipline of plein air painting. For me, the immersion ‘in’ the landscape is transportive. Although my presented works are created in the studio, when I hear my viewers say “oh, I want to be there”, I know that I’ve tapped into their need for 'immersion' as well.
I am attracted to lush landscapes whether 'in the wild' or structured gardens. Within these lush scenes, multiple views of an area become a point of interest for me. Creating works in separate mediums also fuels this. Although I’m not doing diptychs or triptychs, I am understanding the grandeur within a microcosm, like Monet and his repetition of waterlilies. In just a few steps a scene can change so dramatically, so I am drawn to keep the area but with a different view.
I currently paint watercolor on YUPO or acrylic paints. I am attracted to The vibrancy of color and luminous nature that the synthetic paper (YUPO) affords. It also enables me to explore textures, be bold, and achieve the ‘lush’ escape I’m going for. Concurrently, the use of acrylics with palette knives pushes me further into an impressionistic expression with the added excitement of thick texture.
I am drawn not only to the beauty within a scene, but am careful to include beckoning elements of light/shadow, repetition and depth. Scenes chosen revolve around a dance of light and shadow and it's own sense of invitation to explore; pathways are common to include for this reason. Quiet, hidden, reflective/introspective....lush; these are things I look for. I am polarized by scenes that make me forget my troubles and I feel "enveloped", even if just for a moment.
“Hands” Series Artist Statement:
To this artist, hands are a beautiful thing. Hands nurture; they toil, they bless - they strive. Beyond prayer, hands empower the soul. They also tell every story under the sun. Trial to triumph, compassion to crucifixion--these hands are filled with every line of life.
My works convey an underlying spiritual theme; with overtones of societal issues. The element of 'hands' depicted are an important vehicle to deliver an expression of emotions that need no face to convey, no voice to tell. To the spiritually sensitive, rich meaning can be drawn; while the rest may find themselves moved by the emotional tone of the piece, depiction, or left with a hunger to discover ‘why?’
I use an earthen palette which holds a feeling of age... history, treasured memory. Mixing media helps me flow with what is best for the piece. Focal points needing depth and opacity while inherent darkness to a work is often used to convey a dreamlike 'state of thought' or as an ‘underline’ to the deeper spiritual message I am intending to convey. Dimensional objects are often inserted; that element of texture is an important means that brings ‘physicality’, --that drawing sense of ‘Touch’.
Through such uses, my desire is to pull the viewer into empathy; fusing personal life experience with the message and emotion that the painting exudes.
The ‘Hands’ tell the story. I have found that if I cover the artwork and leave only the hands showing, that there must be a story, an emotion -- a sense. If it’s not there, it’s not ‘Hands’.
Current News and Events (in no particular order): (*denotes online exhibition)
• Jarritodos Artists Grant Contest , advanced to the second round, Please vote at the link (daily) until Aug. 22, winners will receive $10,000!!!
• Headley Whitney Museum, Kentucky Watercolor Society, "Aqueous 2022" (Lexington, KY) Aug. 26 - Nov. 6, 2022
• National Oil & Acrylic Painters' Society, "2022 Associate Members Show" (Montgomery, TX)
• Acrylic International Biennial Juried Exhibition, Kenosha WI Aug. 20 - Nov. 6th 2022
• Ohio Watercolor Society "Watercolor Ohio 2022 - 45th Annual Juried Exhibition" Riffe Gallery Columbus, OH • Received the V.O. Baker Award Open Reception on July 30 from 1-4pm and the exhibition ends Oct. 7, 2022.
• "AcrylicWorks 9: The Best of Acrylic", Artists Magazine, Publication date August/Sept. 2022 • Honorable Mention !!!
• "Watercolor USA 2022" exhibition at the Springfield Art Museum, Springfield, MO June 3- Aug. 28
• Representation now includes Toledo Museum of Art, Collector's Corner, Toledo, Ohio
• My artwork is now showing @ The UrbanWoody Brewery in Fostoria, OH
• Artist Spotlight. RESCHEDULED (TBA), King Road Branch Library, Toledo OH
• Ohio Arts Council Virtual Artist's Talk (<---eventbrite registration link)in conjunction with "Watercolor Ohio 2022 - 45th Annual Ohio Watercolor Society Annual Juried Exhibition" September 21, 2022
• 2nd Annual Fallen Timbers Art Festival -Juried - (Maumee, OH) Nov. 5-6, 11am-5pm
Copyright © [Parabletheater.com].
All rights reserved.